Funeral Arrangements & Planning In Orange County, CA
The professionals of Saddleback Chapel consider it an honor and a privilege to assist you during this difficult time of transition surrounding the loss of a loved one.
With Saddleback Chapel, you will have one person managing your loved oneís affairs: one person to call, to ask questions, to contact when you need help or guidance. This special stewardship offers our families continuous personal attention and support, from your first meeting with us and throughout our time together.
For more information about what to do when a loved one passes, and how Saddleback Chapel can assist you, visit our when a death occurs page.
Preparing for the Call
To prepare for your initial call to Saddleback Chapel, review the following questions we may ask you at that time:
- What is your name, address, phone number, and relation to the deceased?
- What is the full name of the deceased?
- What is the location of the deceased: hospital, medical facility, or residence?
- What is the name, address, and phone number of the next of kin?
- Is there a pre-arranged funeral plan?
- Was the deceased under hospice care?
We will then schedule an appointment for you to come in to the funeral home to address the funeral details.
Once you have made that important call to us, we are here as a resource: to explain all of your options in creating these final arrangements and to offer whatever guidance and support you may need.
At the Arrangement Appointment
At the arrangement appointment, we thoroughly discuss the basics and provide you with directions for items or documents required, details regarding the preparation of the body, and the completion of specific and necessary forms.
At this visit, we ask you to bring items and information necessary to complete any funeral arrangement. These items of the deceased may include:
- Recent photograph
- Clothing for visitation and burial
- Birth date and city and state of birth
- Marital status
- Parentsí names, including motherís maiden name
- Educational history
- Social Security number
- Military or veteranís discharge papers
- Church affiliation
- Pre-arrangement paperwork (if applicable)
- Cemetery information (if applicable)
- Advanced Health Care Directive or Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care (if applicable)
At this appointment, we are pleased to discuss all of the costs associated with funeral services. If you prefer, you may view our general price list online or even print a copy to use as a reference.
Additional Steps to Take
Some necessary items that require attention at this time may include the following:
- Notify the banks and insurance companies of the death.
- Locate the will and notify the lawyer and executor.
- Contact your clergy to discuss the funeral or memorial service.
- Make a notification list of significant family, friends, and business colleagues, and assign someone to contact each by phone.
- Gather obituary information, including a photo. Visit the writing an obituary section of our website for help. As an added benefit, Saddleback Chapel features your obituary on our website, at no cost to you. Visit our obituary page to view current obituaries.
- Choose a charity to which memorial gifts may be made, if appropriate.
- Select pallbearers and notify us. People with health issues may be named honorary pallbearers.
- Arrange for family members or friends to take turns answering the door and phone, keeping a careful record of visitors and flower deliveries.
- Check all life and casualty insurance and death benefits, including Social Security, credit union, trade union, fraternal, and military.
- Check on all debts and installment payments, including credit cards, to make arrangements.
- If needed, notify the utility companies and landlord, and tell the post office where to send the mail.
Always feel free to consult with your Saddleback Chapel professional for questions and concerns about the end-of-life process and any additional steps you may need to take.